Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SE DarkMinnesota, DarkAmerica; DarkEarth Cosm

They repossessed my optimism years ago, I couldn't make the payments on it because I was out of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsreach
    -- love you to death Skel, you are like WEG's personal psychotic mascot --
    Visit My Website!
    Fanfic thread
    Cosms: "WWI" Cosm TORG '79 "Ogre" Cosm DARKEarth "Romero" Com Hyper Earth! Phan'Tosi "Star Wars" Cosm "Viking" Cosm

2. Default

Caveat: I don't play TORG, don't own any books for it, and only vaguely know what it's about. But what I am getting from this thread is that if the new TORG owners put out something quickly, people will assume it's crap, and if they take too long, people will bitch because they had to wait. Geez, guys. Can't we ease up just a little? Someone cared enough about the game to pay for it. Can't we just hope they come out with a good game, as soon as possible? Send some positive energies that way, maybe, and encourage them (whoever they are), rather than setting up all these negative expectations?
    I played TORG when it first came out. Bought all the books as they expanded and eventually stopped. TORG was in many ways revolutionary with its usage of the deck for randomness as well as the combinations of genre in one relatively cohesive background. It really wowed me and from the first time I played it, I fell in love with it, or maybe better to say the idea of it. After some time with the game you start to see all the things wrong with it. This invariably happens with every game system, with few exceptions. Most systems come out with a second edition to address these issues. Most of us Torg fans have been waiting for that second edition for well over a decade. In that timespan we have had dozens of teases and promises about a Torg 2.0, none of which came to fruition.
    That all being said, I still want a new Torg. But for you to ask us to be optimistic or even less bitter is, I'd argue, an unrealistic request. And I rarely get involved in this. I have basically lurked at the edges trying not to get my hopes up. I can't imagine how bitter I'd be if I was here talking it up and joining in on a regular basis.

BennyG

Who owns Torg now?

I do! I do!

(Okay, I don't own the IP, but a friend of mine gave me a tattered original boxed set. It has all the cards in the drama deck which is a nice bonus.)

Anyone have an index for Torg? I think I have the 1st Ed of the game and not the R&E, but I wanted to check. Thanks in advance!

I still want a new Torg
    I want a new Torg
    One that won't go away
    One that won't keep me up all night
    One that won't make me sleep all day

A Torg that won't make me nervous
    Wondering what to do
    A Torg that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you
    When I'm alone with you
    Playin' Torg with you baby
    Last edited by Whill; 09-13-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    Psychokinesis, Nanotechnology, Precognition, Suspended Animation, Neuroscience, Parallel Universes, Protoscience, Mutation, Genetic Engineering, First People, Wormholes, Singularity, Speciation, Synesthesia, Transhumanism, Transcendence, Biotechnology, Existence, Quantum Entanglement, Philosopher's Stone, Time Paradox, Psychogenesis, Bilocation, Temporal Plasticity, Hope, Community, Joy, Individuality, Education, Imagination, Private Thought, Due Process, Ownership, Free Will, Freedom, FRINGE

5. Default

Well, Eric didn't want to make it and we didn't know this forum existed so we couldn't .... right, it's about the announcement who owns TORG now. Around 2 months ago Eric sold all rights to the German company:

Ulisses Spiele GmbH
    Industriestr. 11
    D-65529 Waldems-Steinfischbach

We are the publishers of "Das Schwarze Auge", the biggest German fantasy rpg and we also publish the German version of Paizo's Pathfinder rpg.

Well, as non-native English language speakers we are not really prepared to do a new English language version of TORG so - as you can imagine - we will have to look for a licensee for that. But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ...

Quote Originally Posted by tumadschin View Post
    Well, Eric didn't want to make it and we didn't know this forum existed so we couldn't .... right, it's about the announcement who owns TORG now. Around 2 months ago Eric sold all rights to the German company:

Ulisses Spiele GmbH
    Industriestr. 11
    D-65529 Waldems-Steinfischbach

We are the publishers of "Das Schwarze Auge", the biggest German fantasy rpg and we also publish the German version of Paizo's Pathfinder rpg.

Well, as non-native English language speakers we are not really prepared to do a new English language version of TORG so - as you can imagine - we will have to look for a licensee for that.
    Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the big news! Best wishes.

But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ...
    Sorry to hear about the trouble.
    Psychokinesis, Nanotechnology, Precognition, Suspended Animation, Neuroscience, Parallel Universes, Protoscience, Mutation, Genetic Engineering, First People, Wormholes, Singularity, Speciation, Synesthesia, Transhumanism, Transcendence, Biotechnology, Existence, Quantum Entanglement, Philosopher's Stone, Time Paradox, Psychogenesis, Bilocation, Temporal Plasticity, Hope, Community, Joy, Individuality, Education, Imagination, Private Thought, Due Process, Ownership, Free Will, Freedom, FRINGE

I've heard of "Das Schwarze Auge" but have never come across a copy of Fanpro's English translation, "The Dark Eye", so don't know much about it. I'll have to look harder so I can see what we might be able to expect for Torg!

SE DarkMinnesota, DarkAmerica; DarkEarth Cosm

Of course, now I fear that I'll need to learn German to even hope to see "TORG2" in my lifetime.
    "rassen frassen"
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsreach
    -- love you to death Skel, you are like WEG's personal psychotic mascot --
    Visit My Website!
    Fanfic thread
    Cosms: "WWI" Cosm TORG '79 "Ogre" Cosm DARKEarth "Romero" Com Hyper Earth! Phan'Tosi "Star Wars" Cosm "Viking" Cosm

But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ...
    Eric Gibson does occasionally read these forums so perhaps he will see this reminder to send you the material he has. Best wishes in your endeavors and please keep us posted of any plans or progress, including even those in Deutsch (but please post any news or announcements here in Englisch). Thanks.

This is great news. Being a german player I know Das Schwarze Auge and Ulisses Spiele quite well (though not personally) and I am very optimistic now. I have to admit, though Das Schwarze Auge was the first game I played and GMed, I don't like it. But I have to admit it is very professionally administered. So we can expect equal professional work for Torg. They do not have much games on the shelves so they will have put the right thoughts into buying Torg. They have Space Gothic, an SF-Game I really love, and they surely knew what they did when they bought this one in 2007 (think about Star Wars with Corporate Intrigue, Horror and a big piece of Paranoia thrown into the lot). I can't tell you much about the other RPGs they offer, Pathfinder, Iron Kingdoms and Dungeon Crawl Classics but they sound interesting. All I heard this is a company that is working very professionally and as it has not many RPG products, I am sure they will not let the Torg IP collect dust. As the german RPG market is very small I do assume they will already consider an english version. All in all, as I see it this is very good news.