Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Champions of the D6 Movement

Hello Everyone!!!!!

Recently a few of us sat in the chat room and tossed around a few ideas and had a vision for the future of OpenD6 games and gaming. Before we can make those first intrepid steps into the halls of gaming glory, we need to know who our D6 Champions are. Who is still around, who are the movers, who are the shakers? For this, I come to the gaming public to ask you to identify those people in the industry now (or who have been in the industry recently), that are the future of D6. Please post here if you know any of the following information:

• A fan-site with D6 downloads
    • A D6 blog that is updated at least 2x/month
    • D6 publishers
    • D6 writers/developers (past and present)

Please include a contact name, company name, D6 genre/setting, contact e-mail, and website address if any of this information is available. Every week I will add the information to the list I have started here.

Here's to looking into the bright future of 2011, the Year of the Six-sided Champions!

Publishing Companies

Independent Writers/Developers
    • Bill Coffin - Septimus Designer - billcoffin.com
    • Eric Gibson - former owner, West End Games
    • Nikola Vrtis - Writer/Designer - vrtisworks.com

Blogs/Fan-sites
    • D6 Holocron Wiki - d6holocron.wikia.com
    • Industrious Sorcery/Age of Enlightenment D6 - northernmountains.com
    • OpenD6 Resurrection - opend6.wikia.com
    • OpenD6 SRD Project - thegamedistrict.com
    • Sycarion Diversions - sycarion.com
    • West End Games/Purgatory Publishing Livejournal - westendgames.livejournal.com (no longer updated or monitored)
    Last edited by JPQuinn; 09-19-2010 at 07:02 PM.

I'm nominating these guys (like they need it from me):
    http://d6holocron.wikia.com/wiki/D6_Holocron_Wiki

You can use WickedNorthGames@gmail.com, JElliot@WickedNorthGames.com, &/or Brettski@WickedNorthGames.com for us if you like?

- Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by JPQuinn View Post
    Shard Studios - Shard RPG - shardrpg.com - info@shardrpg.com
    Thanks JP, but I'm not sure I understand your post completely. Are you saying that the listed companies, writers and websites are currently supporters of Open D6, and you are asking for more to build the list? Or are you stating that the list is made up of potential supporters of Open D6, and we should build add to the list of those we should try to solicit the support of? Or is there some other point I've totally missed?

I ask because my first interpretation was my first above, but then when I came to the Shard RPG on the list, I scratched my head. I have the Shard RPG. I visit their forum and occasionally participate. Perhaps I've totally missed it, but I was not aware of any mention of the D6 system on the forum beyond my own. And when I brought it up in a discussion of the game system, my comment was not replied to. So I am not aware that they would have any interest in being any part of the "the future of D6."

Please forgive me if I'm just being dumb. My brain has been through quite a lot lately.
    Psychokinesis, Nanotechnology, Precognition, Suspended Animation, Neuroscience, Parallel Universes, Protoscience, Mutation, Genetic Engineering, First People, Wormholes, Singularity, Speciation, Synesthesia, Transhumanism, Transcendence, Biotechnology, Existence, Quantum Entanglement, Philosopher's Stone, Time Paradox, Psychogenesis, Bilocation, Temporal Plasticity, Hope, Community, Joy, Individuality, Education, Imagination, Private Thought, Due Process, Ownership, Free Will, Freedom, FRINGE

Quote Originally Posted by Whill View Post
    Are you saying that the listed companies, writers and websites are currently supporters of Open D6, and you are asking for more to build the list? Or are you stating that the list is made up of potential supporters of Open D6, and we should build add to the list of those we should try to solicit the support of?
    The short answer to both of these questions is "yes." I'm looking for current, publicly open supporters of D6 (not just OpenD6, but their own incarnations as well) and potential supporters whose systems are pretty friggin' close. I feel Shard is a D6 game--uses D6, has difficulties, almost exactly the same skill list ("you can put lipstick on a pig..."). However, I'm not 100% totally familiar with the system, so if you think I'm way off base here, then I'll take it off the list. And last I saw, that company hasn't produced anything in a while, are they still around?

I hope that helps clear up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JPQuinn View Post
    The short answer to both of these questions is "yes." I'm looking for current, publicly open supporters of D6 (not just OpenD6, but their own incarnations as well) and potential supporters whose systems are pretty friggin' close. I feel Shard is a D6 game--uses D6, has difficulties, almost exactly the same skill list ("you can put lipstick on a pig..."). However, I'm not 100% totally familiar with the system, so if you think I'm way off base here, then I'll take it off the list.
    I'd recommend not including it. By your definition above, Green Ronin's "A Song of Ice and Fire," Apophis Consortium's "Obsidian: The Age of Judgement," Atlas Games' "Over The Edge," and BTRC's "EABA" are also D6 games. "BASH," for that matter, fits the guidelines above, since there's no mention of whether one reaches the difficulty by adding or multiplying... Then if you include D6 Legend, which is also Open D6, you add "Shadowrun" to the list, among many others.

There are games based on the D6 System, and then there are games that have things in common with it, but aren't. I think if you ignore that distinction then your list ceases to have any significant meaning to the Open D6 community .
    Last edited by Lee Torres; 09-08-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Uh oh! My hand has been forced!

Yes, Tabletop Armory has things in the works for OpenD6. I shared a little bit the other day with a chat room full of forumites, and it was a good discussion. My company's info is below. What I can share right now is that there was a reason I created the OpenD6 Character Sheets (One Page Version, Two Page Version) a couple of weeks ago. But, shhhhhh. I can't say any more right now.

Tabletop Armory
    www.tabletoparmory.com
    Email: dave@tabletoparmory.com
    ArmoryDave

Protagonist Games - Publishers of RAWR!: The Monstrous Adventure Game

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Torres View Post
    I'd recommend not including it. By your definition above, Green Ronin's "A Song of Ice and Fire," Apophis Consortium's "Obsidian: The Age of Judgement," Atlas Games' "Over The Edge," and BTRC's "EABA" are also D6 games. "BASH," for that matter, fits the guidelines above, since there's no mention of whether one reaches the difficulty by adding or multiplying... Then if you include D6 Legend, which is also Open D6, you add "Shadowrun" to the list, among many others.

There are games based on the D6 System, and then there are games that have things in common with it, but aren't. I think if you ignore that distinction then your list ceases to have any significant meaning to the Open D6 community .
    96.89% of the time I agree with Lee 100%, and this is one of those times. My suggestion is if you have any questions about how similar or disimilar any game system is to D6, just ask Lee. He is extremely well-versed in game systems in general, and just about anything RPG-related.

I haven't played it or read all of the rulebook in depth yet, but I have the Shard RPG and I posted a thread about it here with official links, including the very basics of the game system itself. Check it out. It seems like a cool game, it is still in production, but it is not really D6.
    Psychokinesis, Nanotechnology, Precognition, Suspended Animation, Neuroscience, Parallel Universes, Protoscience, Mutation, Genetic Engineering, First People, Wormholes, Singularity, Speciation, Synesthesia, Transhumanism, Transcendence, Biotechnology, Existence, Quantum Entanglement, Philosopher's Stone, Time Paradox, Psychogenesis, Bilocation, Temporal Plasticity, Hope, Community, Joy, Individuality, Education, Imagination, Private Thought, Due Process, Ownership, Free Will, Freedom, FRINGE

Keck Publishing - Simple Six - keckpublishing.com - admin@keckpublishing.com
    Precis Intermedia - Bloodshadows and Masterbook - pigames.net -

While Keck Publishing has plans for some Open D6 books, like Aces and possibly a Western setting, Simple Six is more along the lines of Traveller or Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space in that it is 2D6 + modifiers, so possibly the Keck listing should remain, but not for Simple Six

Precis Intermedia now owns Masterbook, Shatterzone, and Bloodshadows. Although those were all originally published by West End Games, and both Shatterzone and Bloodshadows were redone as D6 System games, I believe that it is the original versions, under the Masterbook rules system, that Precis Intermedia is re-publishing. Brett is a member here, so can jump in and correct me if there are D6 versions coming as well, but Masterbook should definitely be off this list, as it's not D6 based.

Just to note, a fair number of updates have been happening here. There is quite the list!

Ad Astra Games is an imprint of Final Sword Productions, and we use a modified version of D6 called D6 Dramatics as our house engine.

We put a lot of thought into making it easy to migrate old D6 Classic characters to D6 Dramatics.

The designer of D6 Dramatics is Ken Burnside